This role serves as a valuable resource within the corporate accounting group by providing analytical expertise within all of UFA’s financial systems. This role will apply knowledge of UFA’s finance systems and processes to improve effectiveness of the finance team by proposing priorities, tasks and projects to support business excellence. This position reviews major accounts in detail to ensure accuracy and integrity. Also, it monitors and reports on processes & procedures and coordinates activities with other departments. The incumbent works as part of the Finance team to ensure that the enterprise's financial records are timely, accurate and complete so that management may rely on them for decision making. Emphasis will be placed on Corporate reporting (public company experience would be an asset), Financial reporting, annual & quarterly reporting and Financial analysis. Knowledge of Hyperion Financial Management or Hyperion Enterprise would be a strong benefit.
- Organize month end activities such as journal entries and flash reporting. Ensure the integrity and accuracy of these activities is maintained at all times.
- Upload SAP into Hyperion and maintain changes as they pertain to the General Ledger.
- Create Hyperion reports for Finance or business units as requirements are made.
- Manage the completion and organization of monthly reconciliation process in a timely manner. Communicate with the Finance team to ensure completion of process while raising concerns to Manager, Corporate Accounting.
- Review high risk account reconciliations in detail with follow up to business units while confirming adequate support is present and providing professional guidance to staff when required.
- Provide query, reporting and analysis support to Finance area, including process improvement recommendations.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of accounting standards including interpretations and judgment around items such as Asset Retirement Obligations, goodwill, intercompany, debt & equity structures and other such matters.
- Ensure principals and compliance of financial reporting and internal controls.
- Assist in the review of Internal Audit committee recommendations. Facilitate implementation of process and internal controls to meet recommendations, including subsequent testing to ensure compliance.
- Gather and organize pertinent information for compilation of Calgary Support Office commentary. Communicate with business unit managers to identify monthly operational variances.
- Lead training sessions for Finance staff on Hyperion basics, including report creation.
- Complete Whole Sale Sports Canada upload on period end.
- Review and validate Capital leases, construction and percentage billed job entries.
- Ensure completion of desktop procedures and processes including documentation.
- Develop and maintain Finance page on UFA Intranet.
- Assist in logical organization and maintenance of Finance folders on server(s).
- Maintain a chart of accounts manual.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Commerce degree as well as a professional accounting designation (CGA, CMA, CA, CPA).
- Professional level understanding & knowledge of ASPE. Ability to identify appropriate sections of handbook, and provide challenge, evaluation and recommendation, depending on circumstances.
- 5 - 8 years of relevant accounting experience including significant experience with report development and financial modeling.
- Strong working knowledge of SAP and Hyperion as well as the ability and desire to acquire knowledge of other relevant systems
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills along with an attention to detail.
- Relationship, team building and influencing skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing business needs and conditions, adjust pace of work and tolerate ambiguity. Proven flexibility to remain focused on solutions.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with strong results/goal orientation.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles.
- Hyperion Financial Management or Hyperion Enterprise
- Data mining
- Corporate reporting for a public company
- Financial reporting, annual & quarterly reporting
- Financial analysis
External Applications: To apply email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and quote job number HR13-111 in the subject line.
Internal Applications: Please email your cover letter and resume to HUMAN RESOURCES and complete Form # HR-44 –
Application For In-House Position
THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED